Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010)

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010) 7 years 5 months ago #9346

The Need for Speed franchise has been criticized for getting too generic, too 'try-hard-cool', and too 'identity-confused', among other things. After a string of mediocre installments (with the possible exception of Shift), the most recent one, Need for Speed World, being a re-rendered Most Wanted and Carbon MMOR with Mario-Kart power-ups, it's almost safe to say Need for Speed has lost its mojo.

So it is with great surprise I watched the trailer for their next game, 'Need for Speed Hot Pursuit'. The title is a bit lazy (like Fast & Furious, or The Final Destination), and it is essentially a reimagining of HP2 with open-world environments, but I was blown away. THIS is the game fans have been waiting for: Exotic supercars evading tough speed-enforcers down unbelievably spectacular routes.

I've been a longtime fan of NFS3:HP and HP2, so I'm very pleased they've finally listened and taken it back to its roots. No emphasis on superficial-customization, no cheesy undercover-cop storyline, no urban environments with terrible rap music playing in the background, no yobbo-ish ricers (well, I do hope they include good imports like Furais and GT-Rs for this), none of that BS... Just straight-up racing and chasing, like the original series pre-Underground. I would have liked for there to be individual tracks all over the world, like in Porsche 2000 or any of the pre-Underground titles, but the E3 demo screenshots do have some remarkable scenery.

The new Autolog player-matchup system also sounds pretty sophisticated (this was created by the folks at Criterion who did Burnout Revenge, another favourite game I played). And there's also damage-modeling a la Pro Street and Shift! This could be quite possibly be the best NFS since Most Wanted, and along with TDU2 and DriverSF coming out this fall, there'll be a whole lot of gaming goodness to be had for the year-end holidays!

E3 Reveal Trailer

EA Press Conference (Skip to 2:07)
Listen to his line and watch the on-screen images at 2:46. Hallelujah!

The release line reads "Race or Chase 16 November 2010."

What do you think? Top cop or not?

TDIT's exhilarating mashup of the coolest car flick with the best animated film of the year! Fast & Feathered 5 Click sig to watch!
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by thedriveintheatre.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010) 7 years 5 months ago #9347

• dhopkins
I was at E3 and I tried and tried to get an interview with the NFS: Hot Pursuit guys but they kept referring me to the PR guy who was never around. I did get to see it in action though and it looks a bit like a toned down BurnOut.

Re:Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010) 7 years 5 months ago #9348

I feel your sentiments thedriveintheatre, this should be the reboot that NFS fans have been craving for so long. The fact it is being developed by the very same people responsible for Burnout Paradise certainly heightens my anticipation, too.

This year will certainly go down as one of the best for driving games in recent memory: there's Modnation Racers, Blur, Split/Second, Test Drive Unlimited 2, Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, F1 2010 and of course Gran Turismo 5. Phew!
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Star Wars Fanatic.

Re:Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010) 7 years 3 months ago #9387

The website has been revamped with new updates!
hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/

Autolog Recommends: Settling the Score

Interesting things to note is the increased damage level and the 'Burnout Revenge' style player interaction. Hopefully the music heard in this trailer is actual gameplay soundtrack, cos' it is pretty epic.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Limited Edition Trailer

This is more of an accolades trailer and plug to buy the 'Limited Edition', but at least they have good taste in car models.

Speaking of which, the 'Cars' section on the main site assures the reader that the game will feature "the hottest cars, with absolutely no 'fillers'." It seems they have taken note of fan remarks about the lacklustre starting model lineup of recent games and brought out the 'big boys' of yore once again.
hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/game-info/cars?type=racers

Overall, I'm glad NFS has chosen to move in this 'back-to-basics' direction (No doubt in thanks to Criterion)! Whether it can remain engaging with its 'replay' value or garner enough fans to provide a decent community remains to be seen, but I'm quite optimistic about it so far.

TDIT's exhilarating mashup of the coolest car flick with the best animated film of the year! Fast & Feathered 5 Click sig to watch!

Re:Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010) 7 years 2 months ago #9424

Holy buckets, I can't wait for this game. It's like it was made for me!*

Now that's how you s'pose to drive. From now on, that's how you drive!

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 'Uncovered' trailer

*And anybody who likes car chases.

Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by thedriveintheatre.

Re:Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010) 7 years 1 month ago #9454

Only 2 weeks to go! Has anyone played the demo?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds