Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 8 years 4 months ago #9087

Yooo Joes! Is anyone excited for G.I. Joe coming out next month? We're just two weeks away, and so far the little bits of the Paris chase in the trailers have intrigued me. But a YTuber named AEMovieGuy (who makes fantastic Dark Knight mash-ups and used to be my subscriber back on my old account) has posted (I think) the entire Paris pursuit sequence. I watched till about 30 seconds in before I stopped (because I don't want to be spoiled and want to experience this first in theatres, which I know I'm going for sure), but for those who can't wait, you can watch the rest of it in its entirety.

Make no mistake, this ain't no Wanted or Indy 4, the CGI and live-action is blended so seamlessly that you can't tell which cars are real and which one not (sort of like Bad Boys 2). Or maybe it's all done in wires and they erased it digitally. I don't know, but I'm gobsmacked.

And Snake Eyes leapfrogging airborne cars reminded me of the PSP game Pursuit Force in a way.

Holy crap, this may turn out better than I thought. Watch it before the Copyright Police pull it down.

Paris Pursuit (HD 720p)

TDIT's exhilarating mashup of the coolest car flick with the best animated film of the year! Fast & Feathered 5 Click sig to watch!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 8 years 3 months ago #9115

Howdy car chase fans! I saw Joe three days ago on Monday, and needless to say, it was a blast! Here's my review I've posted on other forums (this forum doesn't have spoiler tags, so if you haven't seen this, I advise you just skip to the car chase review itself after the dotted line):

Well, I just watched GI Joe yesterday, and I was impressed! It certainly exceeded my expectations, I was surprised by the effort they put into character development for a 'dumb' action movie, with all the flashbacks and motivations and what not. My friend enthusiastically declared that this is this year's "Iron Man", and I have to agree; it is sheer, delirious, edge-of-your-seat fun, with appealing characters you actually care about, and some pretty wry introspective humour. It also echoes Iron Man's themes of American weaponisation and the post-effects of war, even if it was done in a more light-hearted and less serious way.

The plot is actually pretty good, about the level of those old Bay and Bruckheimer action flicks of the 90s (before the duo started making sucky movies). The action sequences, while mostly computer-generated and cut too rapidly for my liking, still managed to get the blood pumping (the standout Paris car chase is one of the most spectacular blend of CGI and live-action I've seen since The Matrix Reloaded).

Things I didn't like so much were the villains' character arcs were a little weak and trivial (
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
), and hence were not strong motivations-wise. McCullen's was okay, since he was basically
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
. Duke and the Baroness' history was much more interesting, and Ripcord and Scarlett's love-hate relationship was cute and provided much of the laughs.

Overall, GI Joe turns out to be an unexpectedly good action flick, contrary to the film critics' negative opinions. The scriptwriters had at least attempted to put some personality into their characters, and hence fleshed them out from being mere one-dimensional cutouts like their plastic counterparts. Action sequences are top-notch for a mid-budget blockbuster, although it gets overwhelming at points (too many 'close shaves', could be better paced). Dialogue is witty and brilliant sometimes, cheesy other times, but thankfully no silly bodily-function or scatological jokes. If you ask me, this was what Transformers 2 should have been, but obviously failed to achieve. In a year of mediocre action blockbusters, I think this may have to be the best action flick of '09 so far.

Just go in knowing that you're in for a white-knuckle thrill-ride with no ambition to be an Oscar contender and you should do fine.

"And knowing's half the battle!"

Rating: 4/5

As for the chase itself, the blend of CGI and live-action was almost seamless, and like I mentioned, reminded me of The Matrix Reloaded's pursuit a lot, particularly how Snake Eyes was leaping over barrel-rolling cars, and Scarlet dodging traffic on a motorbike like Trinity. And the Delta-Six Accelerator Suits... man, they were exhilarating! I wish I could wear one of those and chase vehicles through Paris! :D

The CGI didn't detract me from the action so much as say Indy or Wanted, but I did wish they included more car stunts like 180s and drifting or something. It came off a bit Bad Boys 2-ish with the cars hurtling left, right, and centre across the screen, and can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Unfortunately, there seems to be dearth of good car chases this year (even worse than last year), and after the mediocre Fast and Furious, I'd have to say this is the best so far.

But it's still worth a watch, if only to see the awesome train crash at the end. :)

TDIT's exhilarating mashup of the coolest car flick with the best animated film of the year! Fast & Feathered 5 Click sig to watch!

Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 8 years 3 months ago #9118

thedriveintheatre wrote:
Unfortunately, there seems to be dearth of good car chases this year (even worse than last year), and after the mediocre Fast and Furious, I'd have to say this is the best so far.

What about Collateral Collision? ;)

Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 8 years 3 months ago #9119

To see the whole Paris Chase:

[url:15gb5n42][/url]
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds