Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Get Smart (2008)

Get Smart (2008) 9 years 5 months ago #5896

Well guys, I'm back in Singapore on vacation, and the first movie I caught upon my return was Get Smart. Basically, what you've seen in the trailers, is what you'll get in the film. I'm posting in a new thread to avoid cluttering up the 2008 Car Chases/Races "news announcement" thread with my long-winded review.

There are a good variety of vehicles on display throughout the film, such as a Vespa, a couple of Eastern European Ladas, and even a Ferrari Enzo(which strangely enough, was surreptitiously hidden in a barn in a rural Russian village). There was one pleasantly suprising scene in which upon his escape from federal custody, Smart steals a Sunbeam Tiger on display from the museum which houses Control headquarters underground. It promptly ran out of fuel just a block down the road, so he ditches it and the next car he stops is the Opel GT which appeared in the show's opening credits! I later found out that Bernie Kopell, who played Siegfried in the original series, was the driver! He was then promptly shoved off-screen by a rear-end colllison from an SUV. :D Finally, Smart comandeers the Karmann Ghia (which was also driven in the series) and makes his way to the rendezvous point.

There is just one pursuit in the film, and it is the climatic set piece of the film. Some SPOILERS ahead, if you haven't seen the film.
One of the spies (which I won't mention, but which I correctly guessed just from the trailer) is a double agent, and upon his discovery by Smart (Steve Carrell), he kidnaps Agent 99 (Hathaway) and escapes in a Yukon GMC van. Smart and the Chief (Arkin) give chase in a hijacked Cadillac CTS-V. In the first half there was little interaction between the two vehicles as the Yukon got a headstart and the Cadillac got sidetracked into a driving range whereupon they were pummelled with golf balls before smashing through a beach shack. It is at this point that one of the most hilarous exchanges IMO happened, involving a swordfish nearly impaling the Chief.

The second half involves the duo comandeering a Cessna and flying over the Yukon in a highway pursuit. There's a darkly humorous moment where Smart hangs from a suicide hotline banner and gets slapped against the sides of trucks and buses. He then boards the van and fights the traitor while in cruise control. The banner gets hitched to the van and the plane pulls it through several lanes of traffic. The banner then unhooks from the plane and the Chief flies the plane sideways between some bridge girders. Meanwhile, the Yukon smashes through the guardrails and drops onto a set of railway tracks, whereupon it continues on the rails on its rims (which was kinda like the car chases in Octopussy and Oliver & Company). An extended fight scene ensues, and when Smart and 99 fail to reboard the Cessna, they ride on the banner being dragged by the car before it explodes in a head-on collision with a freight train.

All in all, like the movie, it was entertaining enough. Cons? I would have liked more encounters between the Cadillac and the Yukon in the beginning, though the plane chase kinda made up for it. There were some CGI shots, but only for the parts where Smart had to dangle from the plane in mid-air. I don't really remember much annoying shaky-cam except during the fight scenes. Pros? I liked the chase cam tracking the SUV as it gets dragged by the plane through oncoming traffic, and the shots of the SUV flying off the bridge onto the tracks and hurtling into an oncoming train were awesome. Get Smart fans in particular would get a kick out of the fantastic two-minute tribute which featured all the three cars in quick succession from the original TV series. And of course, Trevor Rabin, one of my favourite film composers (FYI, he scored the car chases to Bad Company, Gone in 60 Seconds and the two National Treasure films) did an excellent job with the soundtrack to the pursuit.

So my advise for my fellow car chase fanatics? It's probably worth a watch in theatres for a fun experience at the movies. Highly enjoyable popcorn fluff, and auto afficionados will have a field day identifying the different car models on screen. The chase also wins some creativity points for the Cessna/Yukon pursuit. On the downside, the chase (and the rest of the film) isn't quite mind-blowing and could do with some minor improvements in terms of crashes and fancy driving.

Missed it by that much? Unfortunately, yes.

If anyone else has seen the chase, do share your opinons. BTW, in keeping with the theme of this thread, here's a clever little commercial I've favourited in my channel from YT. I think you can guess the tagline. :wink:

TDIT's exhilarating mashup of the coolest car flick with the best animated film of the year! Fast & Feathered 5 Click sig to watch!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Get Smart (2008) 9 years 5 months ago #5897

Thanks for the detailed review, AndreTeh. Sounds like it will be a good night out to watch it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds