Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Last Run (1971)

The Last Run (1971) 10 years 8 months ago #4709

For those who have access to TCM in the UK The Last Run will be broadcast on Friday 30th of March. Since the film is pretty hard to get a hold of on either VHS or DVD, the broadcast poses a rare opportunity to catch the film.

The film stars George C. Scott as an aging getaway driver, and according to the film's IMDB forum, it also features an extended chase sequence between a 1950s BMW 503 and a Jaguar XJS.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Last Run (1971) 10 years 8 months ago #4710

• ukduke
  • Junior Boarder
I bought this on MGMHomeVideo back in the 80's.
Although not really a 'car chase' movie,it's a class act and has some great fast (and realistic) driving on winding roads through impressive Portuguese scenery (before the package holidays moved in)

Re: The Last Run (1971) 10 years 8 months ago #4718

Since what I know about the film is mostly from what I have read on the internet, could you confirm whether it has a car chase or not? Your description of The Last Run as not really a car chase movie leads me to believe that it hasn't.

Re: The Last Run (1971) 10 years 8 months ago #4752

Just watched The Last Run and it indeed has an extended car chase in it. It is one of the few films where the chase is actually set in Portugal. The chase primarily consists of a Jaguar XJR speeding after George C. Scott's supercharged BMW 503 down mountain roads. There is a third car in the chase, what appears to be a Ford Falcon, playing a minor role. There are a few crashes thrown in as well.

As for the film as a whole, it is indeed a class act as UKDuke says. The film has similar existential themes like Vanishing Point and Two Lane Blacktop. One could describe it as a gangster road movie. Well worth watching.

Re: The Last Run (1971) 10 years 8 months ago #4768

• ukduke
  • Junior Boarder
One could describe it as a gangster road movie. Well worth watching.
Indeed;which is why I was reluctant to classify it simply as a 'car chase' movie. I believe anyone watching it purely for automotive thrills would be disapointed;but the great George C Scott invests the whole film with an existentialsm quite unknown in your average 'chase' movie.
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds