Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transformers

Transformers 10 years 11 months ago #4361

• dhopkins
The trailer for the Transformers movie is out and I'm at least hoping for a chase scene involving some of the Autobots.
But while watching the trailer, I noticed a url on one of the monitors and typed it in and it turned out to actually work. It's one of those viral advertising sites that are all the rage right now.

Check it out at http://ww.sectorseven.org password is takara83. Mostly its production stills and pdfs.

D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ROBOTS IN DISGUISE!!! 10 years 11 months ago #4363

Took sharp eyes to spot that URL, the website layout is quite unconventional, I guess it's supposed to resemble a top-secret military site.
The trailer reveals a lot more than the disappointing teaser, but still not enough to get proper looks at the bots. More like glimpses, actually, of Optimus Prime (a semi) and Bumblebee (as what looks like the new Chevrolet Camaro). There also seems to be a freeway chase with one bot smashing through a bus.
I remember watching the TV series as a kid, though I was probably too young to understand the storyline. But I loved the way how they, well...transformed and I remember getting an Optimus toy.
Let's hope that this will be the Bad Boys 2 or The Island of 2007...

TDIT's exhilarating mashup of the coolest car flick with the best animated film of the year! Fast & Feathered 5 Click sig to watch!

MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE! 10 years 5 months ago #5027

Well, having seen the film a few hours ago, I must say it delivered on all expectations and them some.
Most of you would probably know the story by know, so I'll skip that. If you don't, it's just basically Independence Day+Herbie The Love Bug+Blood Diamond. The plot, if you're looking for one, is scattered, incoherent and with with way too many story threads.
Shia was great as Sam, the geeky loser who ultimately becomes the hero. Megan was nice eye candy. Bumblebee was the most interesting and funny of the Autobots, and a good sidekick to Sam. Optimus was perfect as the born leader of the good guys. Megatron, along with the main Decepticons, were disappointingly introduced towards the end with little emotional investment to begin with.
And now to the purpose of this board, the car chases. Out of the ten-odd action sequences, I counted about two car chases, and they were relatively short. The first was between Bumblebee (1970 Chevrolet Camaro) and Barricade (Ford Saleen Mustang). It actually starts with Sam trying to escape Bumblebee on his 'mother's bike', and then continues with Sam and Bumblebee evading Barricade. Just plain foot-to-the-floor straightaways, ending with a brawl at a power station.
The much-touted freeway chase is the second pursuit. There were a couple of crashes at the beginning, with some of Bay's trademarks (sepia-tinted lens, cars barrel-rolling, big explosions, GMC SUVs...), but it was over before it barely begun, ending with what was shown in the trailer (Bonecrusher tackling Optimus and falling off the flyover).
Car nuts will have much to appreciate here. The love interest is a grease monkey (who ironically doesn't know what a 'double-pump carburetor' is) who rejected her former boyfriend who owns a flashy SUV, instead taking a ride in Sam's rusty muscle car (another 'Grindhouse' symbolism moment?). Not only were 90% of the vehicles seen from General Motors, but GM also dissed practically every other car company (Porsche seen as too expensive, Ford as a villianious character, and Bumblebee rejecting his original Volkswagen incarnation), which is quite amusing.
Transformers fans will find all the famous catchphrases in here too ("More Than Meets The Eye, Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings, Roll Out!, You Have Failed Me Again, Starscream" etc.)
The rest of the scenes were nice too. The scene where the Autobots sneak around Sam's house despite the fact they're over ten feet tall was well done. The final battle scene is all-out intense, eye-popping, jaw-dropping excitement. One thing I noticed about this movie is that if you see glass, whether it's on a house window, car windscreen, or office building, sooner or later it's going to explode or shatter into smithereens.
All in all, it's worth the ticket price. Although the car chases were disappointingly short, the auto carnage in the various action sequences and the final showdown, along with the gorgeous money shots of both Megan and the Transformers' vehicle forms, more than make up for it. Never have I seen this much wall-to-wall entertainment. Probably rivals Speed in literally non-stop action, and beats Bay's The Island and even Bad Boys 2 hands-down in mind-numbing spectacle. Whether you're a fan or not, just go in with an open mind, ignore the revamped designs and the plot, and you may be in for the ride of the summer.

TDIT's exhilarating mashup of the coolest car flick with the best animated film of the year! Fast & Feathered 5 Click sig to watch!

Re: Transformers 10 years 5 months ago #5028

It's a shame that the touted chase sequence does not seem to be as extended as previous Bay entries :( Despite this I am still keen to view the movie, especially if it contains as much auto carnage as you have proclaimed.

Re: Transformers 10 years 5 months ago #5033

Thanks for the detailed review, AndreTeh. I see that you have added Transformers to the database. I'll validate shortly.

Re: Transformers 10 years 5 months ago #5043

• dhopkins
I Just got back and I cant say I liked it all that much. The plot is weak and the action sequences we too hard to follow. The first chase between Bumblebee and the Mustang wasnt bad, but the other action scenes just left me asking questions. I know that it's a popcorn flick and I'm supposed to leave my brain at the door, but Live Free or Die Hard was so good that I was expecting Transformers to deliver also.

Here's some of the major problems I had with the movie. GM mustve bankrolled the film because the product placement was more blatant the the BMWFilms shorts. We didnt get to know anyof the autobots apart from a short introdction at the kids house. And because of the robot designs, they all kinda look the same when they're fighting. The same goes for the Decepticons. I lost track of which ones were which. I thought Starscream was fighting and all of a sudden someone yells 'Megatron!'. I'm all for beauty shots, but they layed it on thick. More slow motion than a John Woo flick.

The good things. The first 30 minutes are pretty funny. And Megan Fox, the Mustang cop car and the concept Camaro are all really attractive.

But honestly, I'd rather see Die Hard again.
D
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds