Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dar Robinson

Dar Robinson 11 years 3 weeks ago #4281

• steamer
  • Expert Boarder
Well, it's still November 21st here for another half hour or so. Dar Robinson died 20 years ago today, in Page, Arizona. It was after lunch. Before lunch, this is the last stunt Dar Robinson ever did and can be seen in the film "Million Dollar Mystery." Lots of stunts in this film, chases, and at the age of 39, Dar flew past trees. An incredible gag.

There were no more major stunts after lunch so the ambulance went back to wherever. Dar and two other guys, Pat McGroarty and Clark Coleman, were riding moto-cross bikes doing routine runs past the camera to establish focus, no cameras were running. I used to believe that while the three of them were turning around to go back to "A" position, Dar got caught up in an unusually soft shoulder, which resulted in him falling off his motorcycle. The thing about the fall ... down a hill with boulders and sharp brush. He was punctured, beaten. No ambulance.
I keep searching Dar on the WWW every other month. A few new things pop up here and there. One of the guys may have bumped into Dar during the turnaround, knocking him off his bike. I know, I wasn't there. Over the course of the last few years, I believe this to be true.

Three movies that I know of were dedicated to Dar Robinson.
- Lethal Weapon - This one goes 1st because it was the most well known. Richard Donner dedicates the film to Dar who had doubled Mel for the fall with the handcuffed guy (Mic Rogers).

- Cyclone - This movie with Heather Thomas featured Dar doing some acting, some nice driving during the chase, a roll over a highway divider creasing the roof and landing on four wheels. Then getting out of the car and bursting into flames. Beautiful.

- Million Dollar Mystery - With Rich Hall and Mr. C of Happy Days. There are a ton of quality stunts with a wide, nay, a mad mad mad assortment of vehicles. If you get the DVD, watch the speed at which Dar passes the trees.

Last call - Do you own to Live and Die in L.A.? Check out Dar doing the bridge jump. Probably in on the freeway scene as well, though I don't know that for sure. I never met Dar but I guess you can tell I took note of his stunts.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Dar Robinson 11 years 3 weeks ago #4282

• adri
  • Platinum Boarder
How are Cyclone and Million Dolar Mystery chases and stunts? worth getting?

Re: Dar Robinson 11 years 3 weeks ago #4295

• steamer
  • Expert Boarder
I can't remember a great deal of Cyclone other than the final chase which as I recall was pretty good. Not spectacular other than the roll. And the fact that Dar was acting in the film he could do his own stunts and be visible. When he was burning, you can clearly see his face. The Cyclone, of course, is a motorcycle. Some wheelies here and there. I'd say rent it if you can find it.

Million Dollar Mystery was packed with stunts. It's also been awhile since I've seen this one. No real car chase I can remember. Don't quote me on that. Sometimes chases from It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World pop into my head when I think of this movie. The scene with Dar and the bikes is a chase. More of a race movie, to find the loot! I'd say buy it if you can find it because there's also the collectibility factor to it, in a macabre sort of way.

A cool movie from the early 80's is Highpoint with Christopher Plummer. I'm pretty sure there's a chase in this movie, I remember some car stunts. At the end Christopher Plummer (Dar) falls off the CN Tower in Toronto. Wild.

Re: Dar Robinson 11 years 2 weeks ago #4297

• steamer
  • Expert Boarder
And wouldn't you know it, Highpoint is on the varaces list! Once I saw Carey Loftin's name attached I remembered. Then I saw Trans-Am and a Midget and I remembered some parts of the chase. I would like to thank varaces for stimulating that particular brain cell I had thought forgotten!
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds