Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Junkyards in movies

Junkyards in movies 11 years 4 months ago #3931

• carlo
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm pretty sure that some of us like watching moviescenes located in car-junkyards. In some of those scenes we can look at , let's say longgone musclecars piled up or standing next to each other in big dusty desertfields. In some movies the crusher is in action to press the robbers chasecar into a 'handy' unrecognisable 'box', in some other movies the chases continue through the bizarre metallandscapes while in others the good and bad guys shoot around hiding under some great rotten cars,aso..So I wanted to know if you guys know of some outstanding moviescenes taking place in Junkyards. Some that spring to my mind immedeatly are scenes out of movies like 'PitStop' or newer films like 'Highwaymen' ...and the frequent visits by General Lee and Roscoe in the TV Series. Some other stuff out there?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Junkyards in movies 11 years 4 months ago #3932

Off the top of my head, I know that the original Gone in 60 Seconds features a junkyard, as does National Security.

Re: Junkyards in movies 11 years 4 months ago #3933

• Prowler
  • Platinum Boarder
Junkman, Mad Max, have some junkyard scenes. The Gnome Mobile has one as well where a junked caddy falls into one. Another is Follow That Bird where Oscar drives his jalopy through a junkyard and calls it a "work of art" and I believe him :D

Re: Junkyards in movies 11 years 4 months ago #3935

Interesting point, CARLO. Junkyards are indeed an important part of automotive iconography in car chase films.

One can say that in films such as Corvette Summer (1978) and Herbie Fully Loaded (2005) junkyards serve not just as a graveyard for automobiles but also as the mythical birthplace of the main vehicles of these films.

Re: Junkyards in movies 11 years 4 months ago #3936

• carlo
  • Platinum Boarder
And with current environmental issues, the junkyards as we know them are an endangered species. In my youth , there were 5 in Luxembourg, today there's none...Well I have to do a bit of research for Follow that Bird and Gnome Mobile, don't know those titles...Thanx for the infos, guys

The automobile cemetary and other notable examples. 11 years 4 months ago #3937

carcrashking brought up a good point of scrapyards being the metaphorical cemetary for automobiles. The Brave Little Toaster (which featured sentient, talking appliances) had a musical number where the cars sang about their demise in the junkyard, and one episode of the Magic School Bus featured a very nice introduction to how cars work (while the said magic school bus prepares to be turned into scrap metal).
Prowler's suggestions sound interesting, I think I'll look out for them too.
As SWF had said, the original 60 Seconds had a junkyard chase, but the remake also had Cage driving Eleanor through a scrapyard with spectacular results (or was it a construction yard? I can't recall). I also heard Knight Rider had one or two junkyard chases, but as I haven't watched a single episode, I can't say for sure.
Other junkyard car chases that come to mind are Ballistic: Eks Vs Sever, Paycheck, the prequel to season 5 of the TV series 24, the beginning of Blue Streak's desert highway chase and the end of 2 Fast 2 Furious' 'get the package' freeway race.

TDIT's exhilarating mashup of the coolest car flick with the best animated film of the year! Fast & Feathered 5 Click sig to watch!
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds