Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fast and the Furious : Tokyo Drift

Fast and the Furious : Tokyo Drift 11 years 5 months ago #3767

• dhopkins
I just saw it and my feelings are mixed. It has a completly different vibe from the first 2 films. It seemed darker and more serious. The races and chase scenes are slick and fast, but theyre cut so fast that it's hard to follow at times.

Thankfully, they didnt use a lot of CGI, although there were a couple of bad computer shots. One good thing that this film has that the first 2 always glossed over is the consequences of driving like an idiot on the streets. When these guys wreck, they wreck big.

The story is weak but the chase scenes are passable. I liked it a little more than the first film, but 2 Fast 2Furious is still better.

D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fast and the Furious : Tokyo Drift 11 years 5 months ago #3768

Beat me to it, I was about to make a thread :wink:

I haven't seen it myself and was hesitant after the previous films, so you have now confirmed my suspisons. To me, The Fast and the Furious has been a woeful series that has been popular with youth who love this sort of urban theme that simply doesn't appeal to me. The races would look entirely unrealistic, and the chases equally as poor. Still, Tokyo Drift does at least seem to incorporate some nice crash scenes judging from the trailer.

Noticably, it only has an average of 3.5/10 on imdb although this will probably soon balance out soon.

Re: Fast and the Furious : Tokyo Drift 11 years 5 months ago #3780

I saw Tokyo Drift last week, and although it was not as good as 2 Fast 2 Furious in overall entertainment value, I thought Tokyo Drift was superior in the automotive action department.

For starters, the opening drag race is amongst the best I have ever seen and the final crash that ends it is seriously spectacular - SWF, you need to see the film for this alone!

It also has the most extended car chase sequence of the entire franchise to date. While I take on board what DH has to say about its editing, I think the cutting rate is about the same as the Moscow chase sequence in The Bourne Supremacy. Perhaps because it is shot at night makes it more difficult to follow.

I think the film also gets points for its interesting generic mix. Clearly, the drifting sequences (especially the final one between Shawn and DK) owe a lot to Initial D. But the film is also in certain respects a refreshing return to the classic hot rod films of the 1950s, with its high school cliques and settings.

Re: Fast and the Furious : Tokyo Drift 11 years 5 months ago #3782

I did in fact see it yesterday, and whilst the plot was nonexistant, the chase scenes were fairly good. To backup carcrashking, I loved the opening rollover it was very destructive. There are then 2 other main chases/races, the second taking place in the city and features a few more good crashes including a headon with the Nissan 350z and an intersection crash involving the Lancer. The final race was a bit too Initial D for its own good, I felt, but still ok. As for the shots I would say they are slightly faster than The Bourne Supremacy in some cases, although I don't think the shaky camera technique was used quite so often - it's still easy to get motion sickness nonetheless!

will i be furious? 11 years 5 months ago #3821

i plan on see fandf3 this friday as my late birthday present. i too am a little disillusioned with the series. i don't expect the movie itself to be that good but ifigure the car action to be excellent. i liked the first movie the best because was more drag racing. the second movie,thou good, paid too much attention to the undercover cop details and was more road racing, which is good too. i road raced a lot when i was younger and could still identify with it. drifting is in the same area for me. i appreciate the sport but don't think it was the best choice. it's popular with the movies target audience so i can see that. in the trailer it said something to the fact that drifting was invented in japan twenty years ago? i may be wrong but twenty five years ago, i called it"dirt tracking" when i was doing it on the backroads here in kentucky.yes, i was doing the same stuff as them. i didn't invent it by no means nor do i want to start a debate. moonshiners were doing it fourty years or more before me. it was called"runnin' shine" then. it's always funny to me how everything is something new.example MARILYN MANSON;ALICE COOPER:DAVID BOWIE. i'll let you know what i think of the movie saturday.

Re: Fast and the Furious : Tokyo Drift 11 years 5 months ago #3832

• carlo
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes Supercharger, you're right. Ovalracing followers see 'drifting ' every Friday or Saturday night at their local speedway's for the last 60 years or so, nothing new here.. Well I will watch Tokyo Drift when it's out in local videostores.
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds