Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: street stories

Tire Smoke 101 12 years 4 months ago #2128

• nokatay
  • Junior Boarder
Well I haven't seen any contributions here for awhile so I thought I would submit one.

I was in Vocational School taking auto body and it was our shop week. It was 1977 and the school was brand new, the body shop was a new department for the school and the teachers were older guys in their first year of teaching. We were driving the poor guys nuts with our antics. A yellow 1972 Duster 340 with a standard transmission came in for a paint job and was done. I had been checking out the car all the time it was in the shop because I had a 340 in my Challenger but with an automatic and I was dying to see the difference the 4 speed made. I had been warned by the shop teacher that the car was "hands off" as the owner was someone important. Well, one day curiousity overcame common sense and I told one of my friends I was gonna' sneak the Duster out at lunch and burn some Goodyears with it. Since the car was sitting right in front of the rollup door the plan was for him to hit the door button and I would roll the car out, jump in and start it and take off as he would close the door. It seemed like such a good idea Frank said he wanted to go along for the ride.

When the lunch bell rang we sprang into action, Frank raised the door and the teacher noticed the yellow Duster slipping out the door. As we were speeding out the driveway we saw Mr. Texeira standing in the door shaking his head. We left the parking lot and I punched the gas and the A-body went down the Boulevard sideway in a cloud of tire smoke. I might add at this time my disappointment in finding out the trannie was a 3 speed with a ton of slop in the shifter to boot, making speed shifts a frustrating job.

We went down the road and hit some back parking lots pulling dounuts and generally abusing the little Dodge then decided to hit Burger King, since it was lunchtime. While in the drive thru Frank opened the glove box and found the registration. As he read the owners name I cringed. The owner was a local cop who was the biggest prick in town. Frank and I suddenly realized we could be in a heap o' trouble. After a short discussion we decided maybe we could just sneak the car back in and deny ever being near it, as there was an under classman we could intimidate into saying we ate lunch with in the cafeteria. As we pulled into the school parking lot and up to the shop door the it magically opened with Mr. Texeira standing there chomping on his cigar, nodding his head with that "you're busted" look on his face. The alibi plan had just disolved. After getting the car back in the shop and Mr. T seeing there was no visible damage he told us he had to think about what he was going to do with us. That was a great ploy on his part because the suspense all afternoon drove Frank and I crazy. Of course everybody in the auto body, auto and welding class knew what happened and we were sort of celebrities.

In the end Mr. Texeira decide to bust us just for leaving the school grounds, telling the Assistant Administrator we had gone to the pizza place behind the school, for which we got a couple of detentions each. We had a new respect for Mr Texeira, though. He was cool and we never gave him any more shit.

Years later while working for a car rental firm I was serving a customer and realized by his license he was the cop who owned the yellow Duster. At first I was taken aback, but then broke into a smile and soon uncontrollable laughter, having to have someone else serve the customer because I had to leave the room in hysterics.

A couple of years ago I went a week without my car due to mechanical problems and had to take the bus. As I climbed on I saw the driver was Frank, who I hadn't seen since graduation in '79. Small talk eventually turned to our 'carjacking', even though Frank put most of the blame on me and of course we laughed alot. I'll take the rap on that one. If anyone was curious, my car was wayyyy faster. LOL.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: street stories 12 years 2 months ago #2499

• heavymett
  • Gold Boarder
It took some time to read all these stories but i like them very much. Especially the mailbox thing was funny. I imagine what else could have been destroyed with a mailbox ...you could have activated a nuclear explosion... so, getting away wasn't the worst idea ;)

death of a legend 11 years 5 months ago #3823

this is not so much a story as its just passing on information. i recently got my heart broke after finding a car i had been hunting for years. it started several years ago at a local car show held each year. i saw a 71 chevrolet vega. oh well, you say. it was candy apple red with dark blue almost tribal flames covering the front. it had polished solid centerline rims on wide tires. the motor was a dual carbed tunnel rammed 350 ci. with all kinds of chrome. it was a beautiful car then and would be sharp now with a few modern touches. i still have pictures of it. fast forward to a couple of weks ago, my wife has been helping a neighbor box her stuff to move to indiana. well, i went with her one evening to pick up some canning jars, she gave her. we pass this trailer and there sits an old vega. i didn't really notice it that much as we went by. on the way out, i had my wife to stop so i could look at it.it was the same vega without a motor but it had the top crushed down on it. it had been flipped on it's roof at one time. my heart dropped to see it in that shape. i thought about buying it but it would take too much money to fix it. i had heard stories about someone racing it and wrecking one night. you hear those stories all the time. its stripped down now so its racing days are over, sadly enough. i'll miss her.maybe?i'll let you know if i get it.

Re: street stories 11 years 2 months ago #4187

• nordjohn
  • Fresh Boarder
cool! thanks, man
---
johntvery@yahoo.com

Re: street stories 11 years 4 weeks ago #4274

• nokatay
  • Junior Boarder
Hi guys. Just checking in to say Hi! During one night in the Summer I had a knock on my door after 11PM. I was surprised as hell to find Stacey, from my first story, looking as good as ever, standing there. It had been over 20 years since we had seen each other. Of course that story came up in conversation. Sigh, she was THE one that I let get away. Anyways, lets see some more stories!
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds