Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The 10th Annual Varaces Awards Nominees

The 10th Annual Varaces Awards Nominees 5 years 10 months ago #9723

Yep, it's that time again. With the start of the new year, brings attention to all the fortunate (and unfortunate) chases of the past year.

Most Inventive Car Chase: The Green Hornet

The first car chase film of 2011 really got the year off to a great start. The Green Hornet showcased three chases, but the standout scene is the climatic highway chase where the Black Beauty is pursued by a number of SUVs and cars down a Los Angeles freeway. I was reminded of the scene in Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull during this because of the way Kato leaps to an SUV and fights bad guys while at dangerously high speeds. All of this in glorious 3D, which is why The Green Hornet earns this award.

Most Destructive Car Chase: Fast Five

Let's be honest. No other movie this year gave car chase audiences exactly what they wanted in terms of automotive destruction than Fast Five. This exhilarating 15-minute dance of auto-carnage kept audiences on the edge of their seats and showcased a wide variety of awesome collisions. Two super-charged Dodge Chargers race through the streets of Rio de Janiero with a steel vault in tow and literally destroy about a hundred (or more) cars, bus stops, and even a bank. Director Justin Lin has now set the bar for the most damage a chase can contain and is for this reason that Fast Five deserves this award.

Best Driving: Unknown

Audiences everywhere were looking forward to the return of Liam Neeson to foreign action territory and though the film was light on fight scenes, the automotive action was stepped up in Unknown. Much of the problem with Taken’s car chases was that they were really shaky (akin to the Bourne films) and you had to have a good eye to distinguish what was happening during the pursuit. Here we get a really fantastic chase where 180’s, car crashes, and screeching tires are on display and it doesn’t disappoint. I, myself, was gripping my armrest during this scene in the theater and the driving skills performed are phenomenal and is for that reason that Unknown deserves this award.

Honorable Mention: Drive

The supposed car chase film of the year featured a couple of small-sized chase scenes, but the one that stands out is the Mustang vs. Chrysler 300C chase down mountain roads. Lasting about 90 seconds, this chase proved that all you need is fast cars, no music, blaring engines, honking horns, and screeching tires to make a sequence that much more involving. Though I wished that we could have gotten a longer, "extended" version of this scene, since it was relatively short but great.

Best Racing Scene: Fast Five
The mini-Rio race scene with the four leads showcasing some nifty Dodge Charger police cars was a delight to see, mainly because the Fast & Furious films are known for the race scenes, much less for the chases (though that has now changed). This sequence was definitely a thrill, but it was a little short. Compared to films like Cars 2 which had some good race scenes, I found Fast Five to have the better scene, because it’s hard to have a scene like this and have it be thrilling without the use of CGI, which is why Fast Five deserves this award.

Chase of the Year: Fast Five

No other movie showcased as many cars as Fast Five, unfortunately most of those were mangled beyond recognition. Clocking in at a little under fifteen minutes, the Rio chase in Fast Five was the high-octane, exhilarating chase that audiences were expecting to see (as showcased by both awesome trailers) and it was a fantastic climax to the latest in the Fast & Furious films. Starting off the film with a great bus flip and ending with this scene, I can see why critics were truly favorable to this film, seeing as how all of the past films earned unfavorable marks. Director Justin Lin certainly has truly done wonders for car chases and we’ll have to wait and see what he does next for Fast Six. Hopefully, it will be even greater than this (though even if it comes close, I’ll be satisfied).

Worst Chase of the Year: Abduction

With what could have been a great chase with an SUV being pursued by assassins and police cars, the chase in Abduction just gave us some pedestrian driving and swerving and we don’t even see the SUV crash and explode. We just see it from afar. I had high hopes for this film but was greatly disappointed at the end result. With a premise right out of a Jason Bourne film, Abduction appeared relatively murky at best. Director John Singleton should have stepped up to the plate and gave something relatively watchable, especially with him being the man who gave us the great chases in 2 Fast 2 Furious, Four Brothers, and Shaft. What audiences (and car chase fans) got was a big time-filler and it is for this reason that Abduction receives this award.

At least for the first time, a Transformers movie didn't make the list.
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by n_easter12345.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The 10th Annual Varaces Awards Nominees 5 years 10 months ago #9724

Great work! Will submit my nominations soon, though I'm once again torn on the overall winner.

Re:The 10th Annual Varaces Awards Nominees 5 years 10 months ago #9734

I could have went with "Drive" for the win if this was the actual score for this scene. Though I still liked that the movie went old-fashioned and had no score for this scene.

Here's the video of the "Largo Winch 2" car chase:

As far as Best Race Against Time Sequence, I'll have to go with "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". The film's intense climax features Rooney Mara (in her Academy Award nominated performance) as she tries races in her motorcycle to stop a killer from murdering her friend/lover (Daniel Craig). Not only do we get that but we get a short, but highly effective car chase ending with a Range Rover flipping over and exploding.

tattoo.jpg
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by n_easter12345.

Re:The 10th Annual Varaces Awards Nominees 5 years 7 months ago #9761

Here's another car chase from 2011 that is relatively good. Thought I would add the link in case anyone decides it's worthy of an award. The score by John Debney is subtle but rousing, especially as the chase begins.

The Double (2011)

Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by n_easter12345.
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds