Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The 8th Annual Varaces Awards Nominations

The 8th Annual Varaces Awards Nominations 7 years 11 months ago #9183

It's that time of the year to start considering the nominees for the 8th Annual Varaces Awards. Here are a few of the nominees for the year.

Most Inventive Car Chase:

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

The use of similator suits came into direct use with this action packed chase down the streets of Paris. The bad guys pile into an indestructible H2 (Hummer 2) and immediately starts the chase by plowing into a city bus and causing a big accident. It's always nice to see a car chase that not only thrills but piles on spectacular car accidents at the same time. A lot of money went into the making of this movie and a lot probably went into the making of this chase. Not only did the H2 make accidents but it got tossed up numerous feet in the air by a passing train, causing a chain of explosions and accidents. Even a motorcycle gets in on the action. Definitely one of the best of the year.

G-20100120-2.jpg

Most Destructive Chase Scene:

G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Like I said before, G.I. Joe is packed with exhilarating car crashes unlike anything you've ever seen before. Anyone who's ever been to Paris before knows that the streets are jam-packed with cars, so what better place to have numerous accidents than Paris. The Hummer in this film (literally) just plows through anything in its path. It even gets hit by a passing train, which is intense, complete with explosions and more car accidents. Did I mention it's great to look at?

G-20100120-3.jpg

Best Driving:

12 Rounds

Director Renny Harlin (Die Hard 2, Cliffhanger) set out to make the best action movie possible. What's an action movie without a really good car chase? That's exactly what we got with 12 Rounds climatic trolley chase through downtown New Orleans. A Ford Crown Vic gets a sure-fire workout as it speeds to stop an out-of-control trolley, dodge cars from all directions, and it even gets driven into an electrical power station. When you look at a good car chase, you look at the driving skills that had to have been mastered in order to make this scene possible. Whether you didn't like the movie as much as the similar Die Hard 3, you have to enjoy this scene.

12_rounds-20100120.jpg

Best Racing Scene:

Fast & Furious

How about that breathtaking race down L.A. streets? Fast & Furious is the fourth in the franchise that looks and feels like the original, race wise. Not to mention having Vin Diesel and Paul Walker back in the driver's seats was like an added bonus. What's a race down packed L.A. streets without a couple of really good car accidents? That's exactly what we got when an SUV goes airborne and a racer flips over and falls off a bridge. To say that this movie didn't satisfy race fans is to say the least. This scene defines street racing at its most dangerous and most exciting.

Fast__Furious-20100127.jpg

Worst Chase of the Year:

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen

Like the previous Transformers film, Transformers 2 features a rushed and very, very short car chase. Michael Bay is known for his car chases but obviously he was preoccupied with other things. Not only was this a disappointment, but the film was too. I just wish that if God willing there is another Transformers film in the making maybe Mr. Bay can concentrate on delivering a satisfying chase that isn't 20 seconds long.

transformers_2-20100120.jpg
Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by n_easter12345.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The 8th Annual Varaces Awards Nominations 7 years 11 months ago #9186

Thanks for kicking of the nominations for the 8th Annual Varaces Awards n_easter12345. Your nominations are indeed helpful and other nominations are certainly welcome.

I will try my hardest to get the awards up this year much earlier, hopefully to coincide with the Academy Awards.

Re:The 8th Annual Varaces Awards Nominations 7 years 10 months ago #9193

There wasn't much variety to choose from this year, but at any rate here's my nominations:

Most Inventive Car Chase: G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra

A pursuit scenario involving characters chasing a vehicle on foot is certainly nothing new, but equip them with supercharged accelerator suits and it's a wholly different story. It may look utterly preposterous as the protagonists charge down the streets of Paris without breaking a sweat, but it was undeniably an inventive and worthwhile spectacle.

Most Destructive Chase Scene: G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra

Considering it managed to obliterate The Blues Brothers previous record by allegedly destroying 112 cars in the making of the film, there's no questioning 2009's most destructive car chase. G.I. Joe's chase scene started as it meant to go on as the Hummer ploughs into a city bus, which was actually a real and unstaged accident causing injury to those involved. And then, as if the chase could become any more ludicrous with the G.I. Joe team pursuing the villain's Hummer on foot via their accelerator suits, the vehicle utilises a customised plow which is used to mangle any unsuspecting cars in its path. It's a spectacular and riveting sight, as multiple cars perform pirouettes simultaneously through the air reminiscent of The Matrix Reloaded. The chase even concludes with a highly destructive feat, as the Hummer gets struck by an oncoming train and vaults into the air with preposterous altitude, before culminating in an explosive high speed rollover. It may be far fetched, but it's hard not to revel in such alluring automotive destruction.

Honourable mentions

Fast and Furious

A heated street racing scene through densely populated traffic rightfully resulted in the demise of most of the competitors in a series of spectacular crashes.

Antikiller D.K

This lesser known Russian movie featured a surprising quantity of high altitude car crashes. Adhering to tradition, the protagonist is pursued by a fleet of matching black enemy cars and, also in tradition, they all get sequentially scrapped as the chase progresses. The resulting destruction is simply salivating.

The Tournament

A tanker truck jostling against a double decker bus on a motorway was bound to cause some accidents, and this was indeed true in The Tournament's chase scene.

Best Driving: Fast and Furious

The latest installment in the long running racing franchise may have lacked the flamboyant drifting found in Tokyo Drift, but the driving found in Fast and Furious was still impressive in its own right. Each of the film's many driving scenes showcased a number of skills, from heavy duty pickups performing reverse 180s, to street racers weaving through dense traffic and charging around 90 degree corners.

Best Game: Colin McRae: DiRT 2

Codemasters have garnered a reigning reputation for producing high quality driving games over the years, and DiRT 2 certainly lived up to this track record. The balanced physics, exotic locations and impeccable presentation made for a continually captivating experience - careening down hazardous dirt tracks and edging perilously close to cliff edges has seldom felt so real. All in all, it was a sterling tribute to the rally legend and ranks as one of the most thoroughly enjoyable driving games to date.

Honorable mentions

Forza Motorsport 3

The Forza series has been heralded as the most significant rival to Polyphony's Gran Turismo series, and this latest addition is easily the most accomplished so far. Gran Turismo 5 will have a lot of catching up to do by the time it's released some time in 2010.

Need For Speed: Shift

The Need For Speed series has been severely lagging behind the competition in recent years, but Shift fortunately acted as a reboot for the faltering franchise. Switching from the streets to renowned racing circuits, the core racing experience was a vast improvement, particularly with the inclusion of a realistic shuddering in car view coupled with an astonishing sense of speed.

Best Racing Scene: Fast and Furious

Fast and Furious upped the ante by staging an enthraling racing scene amidst heavy LA traffic, as apposed to the comparatively tame closed street races of the past. The addition of traffic added a new dimension, resulting in some note worthy crashes as well. It's easily the most raw and exhilarating street race the series has seen to date.

Chase of the Year: Fast and Furious

Fast and furious not only saw the return of Mr gravely voice but delivered a trio of pulse pounding car chase sequences. From the fuel tanker hijacking opening to the intense central street race and the final, multi vehicle desert showdown, Fast and Furious provided a strong variety of car chases and each scene held their own with diligence.

Worst Chase of the Year: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

In all honesty, Revenge of the Fallen's effort barely qualifies as a car chase due to its pitifully short running time. Those who were hotly anticipating a comeback from Michael Bay in the extravagant car chase department were sorely disappointed. It's been all too long (5 years in fact since The Island) since we have experienced a true trademark Michael Bay chase, and both Transformers films rank as unforgiveable missed opportunities.

I hope my contribution was of use and that we can get the awards submitted a bit more timely this year. Will the people's chase voting poll be up soon?
Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Star Wars Fanatic.

Re:The 8th Annual Varaces Awards Nominations 7 years 10 months ago #9194

Thanks for your nominations SWF. Very helpful as usual.

I am aiming to get the 8th Annual Varaces Awards published to roughly coincide with the Academy Awards presentation on the 7th March. Fingers crossed.

I'll get the People's Awards Poll up shortly so that the voting can commence, but can forum members indicate if this list below includes all the main contenders or if I'm missing any major 2009 car chase/racing films. Don't want to miss any films that are worthy contenders as was almost the case with Eagle Eye last year!

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Fast & Furious
12 Rounds
Antikiller D.K
The Tournament

BTW, what's the story on The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (2009) which I have yet to see. There were claims that there was a car chase in the film, but all I can ascertain is that it has an (albeit destructive) race-against-time speeding vehicle sequence, and hence not really a car chase in the strict sense.

Re:The 8th Annual Varaces Awards Nominations 7 years 10 months ago #9195

I would say Echelon Conspiracy should be a nominee as well. Fast and Furious and G.I. Joe were undoubtedly the standouts of 2009 though, which is why they won most of my nominations. As for The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, I can confirm there is no chase and that it's just a race against time sequence resulting in a crash.

Re:The 8th Annual Varaces Awards Nominations 7 years 10 months ago #9196

Thanks for that SWF. I'll add Echelon Conspiracy to the People's Awards list.

re The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3: that's disappointing to hear. Its IMDB entry lists 'car chase' as one of its plot keywords. Whoever submitted that has no idea what a car chase is.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds