Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The 7th Annual VaRaces Awards : Nominations

Re: The 7th Annual VaRaces Awards : Nominations 8 years 10 months ago #7931

Most Inventive Car Chase: The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight certainly was one of the top dogs of the year, car chase wise. It had a garbage truck knocking police cars around and it had the Joker in a semi (with his bazooka) and one of the most anticipated things concerning the movie was Batman's new Batpod. Which we get to see after his present Batmobile gets involved in a spectacular crash. Even then, the chase continued. Leading to a helicopter crashing into a building and getting plowed by a police armored truck. Also worth mention was the head over nose dive that the Joker's truck did, caused by Batman. All of these things certainly add to a car chase. A most inventive one at that.

Most Destructive Chase Scene: Eagle Eye
Eagle Eye kicked off the Fall movie season with spectacular action including one night time chase where a Porsche Cayenne evades police and let's just say that no car leaves this chase without something happening to it. Cars flip over and even one of the best multiple car accident pile-ups in movie history took place, with at least seven or more cars are destroyed. Eagle Eye certainly has the right to say that its chase scene is one of the most destructive ever.

Best Driving: Vantage Point

Vantage Point features an out of control car chase as its climax and its certainly one of the best of 2008. Two Chevrolet Astras speed through Spain and drives on sidewalks, down stairs, and one even has to dodge a flying Jaguar in the process. All in all, it takes a good driver to keep up in a chase and it takes an even better driver (the blue astra) to keep up will all the stuff that happens in this movie.

Best Racing Scene: Death Race

The entire movie was about racing and boy did it feature some great racing scenes complete with a lot of car crashes.

Chase of the Year: Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye puts you in the chase and never up til its over. Many cars were destroyed during this chase and it sure gives a sense of reality in the way the chase is shot. If there's one chase that deserves this honor, its Eagle Eye.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The 7th Annual VaRaces Awards : Nominations 8 years 10 months ago #7934

Thanks n_easter123456 for your nominations and your rationales.

AndreTeh, with the Oscars being held on the 22nd February (not that far away really) ideally we would be aiming to get the varaces awards up closely following that date but giving enough time for users to put forward their nominations and to take in sufficient voting for the Peoples Chase Award.

I'll consult with DH, but I'm initially thinking Friday 13th March to close voting and nominations (hope I'm not tempting fate by choosing this date!) with Awards to be published Monday 16th March. How does that sound?

BTW, hoped you liked your upcoming 2009 features list appearing on the home page!

Re: The 7th Annual VaRaces Awards : Nominations 8 years 9 months ago #7959

Well, folks, in my usual habit of procrastinating, I'll be submitting my nominations on the deadline day itself. I pretty much watched all the major car chases and their respective movies in their entirety, with only Speed Racer and Death Race left to complete. Hope I'm not pushing the deadline too much, I hope to finish DR (I've watched the first twenty minutes so far) and write up my nomination piece within the next 48 hours. Oh, and I still haven't voted for the People's Chase Awards. Sorry, I'll get all this done ASAP! :)

P.S. I think I said this in the 2009 Car Chase/Race thread, but I'll say it again. Thanks for the mention on the feature, CCK!

TDIT's exhilarating mashup of the coolest car flick with the best animated film of the year! Fast & Feathered 5 Click sig to watch!

Re: The 7th Annual VaRaces Awards : Nominations 8 years 9 months ago #7960

• delorean man
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
IF YOU ASK ME

BEST CHASE THE DARK KNIGHT. THE EAGLE CHASE IS TO FAST AND UN REAL TO ME SPESJELY THE PART WHEN THE PORSCHE DRIVES BY IT SELF AFTER IT IS HIT IND THE SIDE BY A CAR MAYBE THE MOVIE I SUPOSE TO HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE ABOUT 10 YEARS FROM NOW I DONT KNOW BUT IT STIL HAS THE MOST DESTRUCTIV CHASE OF THE YEAR

BEST VIDEO GAME OF THE YEAR GRAND THEFT AUTO IV I HAVINT PLAYED IT YET BUT I KNOW ONE THING IT IS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER DON FAR CRY 2 IS ALDSO A MASTER PICE BUT IT IS NOT REALY A CAR CHASE RACING GAME

LIFETIME ACHEIVEMENT CAR 1987 CHEVROLET CAPRICE BEST MOVIE COP CAR EVER OR THE PONTIAC GTO THE JUDGE

LIFETIME ACHEIVEMENT PERSON STEVE MCQUEEN OR CHARLESTON HESTON YOU ALREADY KNOW WHY I ADET STEVE MCQUEEN BUT IF HE HAS ALREADY WON THE AWARD THEN THIS AWARD SHOUD BE WON BY NON OTHER THEN THE NRA PRESIDENT HINSELF MR CHARLESTON HESTON FIRST IF ENY OF YOU HAVE SEEN BEN HUR THE 11 OSCAR MOVIE FROM 1959 YOUR FAVORITE SCENE IS DENERLY THE CHERIOTE RACING SCENE 9 YEARS BEFORE THE FAMOURS BULLITT CHASE AND ABOUT 4 YEARS BEFORE JOHN ZACHARY DELOREAN INVENTED THE MUSCLE CAR THE PONTIAC GTO THIS HAPPNED AND IT IS ONE OF THE BEST HIGH SPEED ACTION SCENES IN CINEMA HISTORY FORGET BULLITT FORGET THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS BEN HUR IS KIND A LIKE THE FATHER OF THE CAR CHASE MOVIES AND IF YOU NEED A MORE CUT TO THE CAR CHASE REASON THEN HE WAS IN THE MCQ CAR CHASE THE FIRST CAR CHASE IN MOVIE HISTORY WITH A CONAON ROLEOVER AND A GUN HAPPY CHARLESTON HESTON WITH A BIG MAC AND NO I DOTH THINK THAT MR HESTON EATS AT MCDONNALDS HE IS TO SMART TO THAT

R.I.P CHARLESTON HESTON 4 OCTOBER 1923 TO 5 APRIL 2008 SNIF GREAT GUY DEATH TO ALL DUMB PALE SUNGLAS AND BLACK CAPE WEARING ZOMBIES THE OMEGA MAN 1971

MY 3 FAVORITE HESTON FILMS

NR 1 BEN HUR 1959

NR 2 BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE 2002

NR 3 PLANET OF THE APES 1968
It's A Small Universe

Re: The 7th Annual VaRaces Awards : Nominations 8 years 9 months ago #7961

Alright, I'm done! I've made a list of all the 2008 car chase movies I've watched over the past year in theatres and first few months of 09 on DVD and I've got about 14, so that should give you an idea of the amount of movies I have to make my selection from. I'm fairly confident of my noms, I've watched all the films in their entirety rather than on YT, so as to understand the context in which the chase is set, and I've tried to make my selections encompass a broad range as possible (with justifications of course). I took a whole day to write this by the way, but I guess it's only once a year.

Right then, enough talk. Let's get on to my submissions:

MOST INVENTIVE: BOLT

It may sound hypocritical to call the opening action sequence innovative when it pays homage to the modern-day "bigger is better" car chase spectacle championed by the likes of Bay and Bruckheimer. But this multi-vehicular pursuit turns the conventional car chase around and takes it to new heights, sometimes quite literally. The furry protagonist and his girl have to escape a team of ninja-like henchmen armed with taser-gloves who are out to capture them. They do this on a flimsy electrical scooter towed by the dog, as they race through abandoned warehouses, across overhead bridges, on top of moving trains, and down a desert freeway as they evade an army of motorcycles, helicopters and SUVs. The creative choice of vehicles notwithstanding, the stunts themselves are jaw-dropping, because of the simple fact that this scene takes place in the make-believe world of a TV show. So Bolt is able to leap overpasses, chase down a gas tanker to remove a bomb, and blasts choppers out of the sky with his 'laser eyes'. John Powell's heart-pumping score also keeps thing racing at top speed. The final showdown where Bolt demonstrates his lethal 'super-bark' is a sight to behold, and a topper to an excellent chase in Disney's return to form in animation. If you had the opportunity to catch it in 3-D like me, even better.

Honourable mentions:

Wanted
Office rat Wesley Gibson and femme fatale Fox drive a Viper to evade an assassin in an ice-cream truck. Much chaos and CGI bullet-bending ensues, culminating in an unbelievable flip over onto a bus. The train chase is also quite entertaining, albeit too short.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Although this Oriental action-adventure was a downright stinker, the pursuit remains one of its highlights, with intrepid explorer Rick and family trying to stop an undead Jet L in his chariot from hell, using a Rolls Royce and a fireworks-laden truck. There are many creative stunts like Frasier hanging from the undercarriage like Indy in Raiders, and the explosive finale through a crowded marketplace.

MOST DESTRUCTIVE: EAGLE EYE

In this Enemy of the State-inspired techno-surveillance thriller, Shia and Michelle escape the fuzz in a Porsche Cayenne as a mysterious voice directs and even remote-comandeers them through the streets of Chicago. The carnage rises as they tear through intersections, suspension bridges and even a scrap yard, while the police cars get destroyed in every imaginable way possible. Kudos to the Sound Editing and Mixing folks for making the crashes exceptionally wince-inducing, as metal crunches, glasses implode, and explosions erupt in sync with the action onscreen. Once the gunshots begin and Michelle punches the gas, the destruction never lets up until its unexpected end by crane claw. The climatic tunnel chase involving Jerry and the FBI trying to outrun a UAV is also utter pandemonium, as a Freightliner jacknifes and rolls over, and the UAV crash-lands and takes out a whole line of cars.

Honourable mentions:

Connected
From the director of New Police Story and Rob-B-Hood, this Asian remake of another techno-thriller called Cellular stars Louis Koo as an everyman hero who has to save a woman held hostage by a gang of kidnappers, armed only with his cellphone and wits. Oh, he also has a Ford Ka (also seen in another car chase flick, Quantum of Solace), and he pushes it to its limits, outperforming the car chase in the original. Cars flip onto his windshield, building scaffolding collapse with workmen in tow, and a water-cooler truck gets wrecked like in The Rock, by the time this full-on chase is over.

Doomsday
This Brit flick tanked at the box-office, and although it had a cringe-worthy plot reminiscent of Mad Max and 28 Weeks Later, it has a pretty sweet chase at the end with the protagonist in a Bentley with feral-looking barbarians on her tail. Her luxury ride turns the bandits to road-kill, rams their ugly piecemeal vehicles aside, and even bursts through an obstructing school bus in a glorious display of pyrotechnics.

BEST DRIVING: VANTAGE POINT

In one of the most thrilling pursuit sequences of the year and recent memory, Dennis Quaid as Secret Service Agent Barnes chases down his rogue partner played by Matthew Fox in a harrowing pursuit through Salamanca (or rather, Mexico City). The two equally-matched civilian and police Astras swerve in and out of the heavy traffic in an elaborate dance of death, bringing to mind the excellent Bourne Supremacy chase in 2005 for its use of pedestrian vehicles, precise stuntwork, and high-wire score. Barnes expertly maneuvers his indestructible vehicle through every conceivable obstacle and situation thrown at it, regaining control after a spinout, avoiding bullets and an airbourne Jaguar, mounting sidewalks, tumbling down staircases, ramming parked cars and plowing through a cafe. Of course, nothing lasts forever, as the chase comes to a painful end with a gut-wrenching T-bone that will leave you breathless.

Honourable mention:

Quantum of Solace
Daniel Craig as the immortal James Bond triumphs over his adversaries once again as he rips down the coastal roads of Lake Garda in his beautiful DBS while evading attacking goons in Alfa Romeos. Runaway trucks, pursuing law enforcement, and the various environmental hazards are nothing as our secret agent superspy easily beats them all.

BEST GAME: BURNOUT PARADISE

The Burnout series has always been the benchmark and best advocate for the much-ignored Racing category of video games. So it is only natural that they upped the ante with another groundbreaking winner, featuring an open-world environment, a streamlined online lobby system that is launched with the touch of a button, and, this is important, fully destructible vehicles (which other games like Test Drive Unlimited and Need for Speed Undercover failed to implement due to their use of licensed cars). Another revolutionary aspect is the ability to choose the route you'll take during races (without those annoying 'invisible barriers'). There are a multitude of events to choose from, and even the usual 'Find the 100 Billboards/Gates' treasure hunts. The game also evolves since its release with perennial updates through expansion packs and patches, so that you have the day and night cycles of Midnight Club LA, the law enforcement authority of NFS Undercover, and my personal favourite, the Legendary Cars Pack, featuring cars based on famous movie ones like KITT and General Lee. With its jaw-dropping action (in eye-popping slow-motion HD), variety of vehicles (from muscle cars to SUVs to even bikes), and its dynamically changing content (which you can buy as a complete package in the Ultimate Box), Criterion has truly delivered another stellar installment in an already exceptional series.

BEST RACING SCENE: SPEED RACER

Even though a bomb at the box office, this CGI-laden fest is truly underrated, and IMO, deserves more attention. The story is pretty standard and formulaic, but the Wachoskis and Silver bring something new to the table of vehicular competition unlike anything you've ever seen. It's a technicolour-saturated feast for the eyes, a searing indictment of the increased commercialization of a once glorious sport, and an ode to the true spirit of racing. The film does away with the usual plot progression and editing format, with rapid dissolves and manic transitions between the different characters' perspectives, thoughts, flashbacks, and fast-forwards, while talking heads swivel and wipe through the various racing shots. Cars are the ultimate weapon in this brutal free-for-all, as they perform gymnastic moves not unlike the humans in the Matrix, cartwheeling, shunting, and vaulting over each other in a fight to the finish. The drivers are one with the vehicle, stomping their feet as their change gears in quick succession, pressing buttons and odd levers to deploy their defense mechanisms, and skirting the fine line (often literally) between life and death. Even if you ignore the political commentary on ruthless corporate conglomerates, or the tribute to the original anime's style of hyper-kinetic cuts and exagerrated actions, there's still something to admire about the headache-inducing madness that takes place in that world. From the opening race where Speed races the ghost projection of his brother, to the mad bid for the finish line as Speed simultaneously obliterates all competition and bends the time-space continuum, this tribute to both computer technology and retro-cartoons is the ultimate trip in more ways than one.

Honourable mention: Death Race
In this remake of the classic cult movie, Statham takes his machine, a mean-looking Mustang Fastback to the track in a battle royale against fellow contestants while fighting for both his innocence and freedom. Convicts on an island prison race and gruesomely kill each other on live television, using everything from machine guns and rocket launchers, to oil slicks and nail strips. As if the three races weren't enough, the film finishes off with a car chase with the prison cop cars and helicopters.

And the winner is...

CHASE OF THE YEAR: THE DARK KNIGHT

2009's indisputable biggest mega-blockbuster smash-hit not only boasts a stellar cast, a thought-provoking story, and two of the greatest superhero and villain in comic-book history, but also the best vehicular pursuit in recent memory, surpassing its predecessor in Batman Begins by a mile.
The stakes are higher (with the life of a major character hanging in the balance), the stage is grander (the deserted streets of the fictional Gotham, shot in Chicago), the vehicles more varied (with cop cars, helicopter, SWAT van, 16-wheeler, garbage truck and the new Batpod thrown into the mix), and the action more spectacular (flying bazookas, the Batpod's nitrous leapfrog ending in explosive demise, and that indelible image of the entire semi flipping head over heels). It is the epitome of minimalism: no music, so all you hear is the rumble of the engines and the sudden crashes and gunfire; no CGI, so all you see is true-to-life, credible, real stuntwork with no computer trickery; and no shaky-cam, so all you witness is unadulterated, steady tracking shots untarnished by gimmicky motion blur.
Cinematic signifiers and metaphors abound: The ominous warning in the form of a firetruck on fire, a cruel joke that can only come from the Joker's twisted mind. The increasing firepower of the Joker's weapons, representing the film's theme of escalating violence. The Joker standing with a suicidal grin in the middle of the street, "the immovable object meeting the unstoppable force", silently pleading the Batman to end his miserable existence. The final Batpod crash as Batman fails to kill and ultimately defeat his arch-enemy, a greater metaphor for his eventual failure as a hero. The moments of comic relief running throughout like "Slaugher is the Best Medicine", the 'gun-finger' kids and the Joker's nonchalant reaction to the Batpod crash.
The fact this is the first showdown between Batman and the Joker elevates the car chase from action sequence filler to an important plot-point of the movie, the ultimate clash between Good and Evil, Sanity and Madness, the Law and Anarchy.
The Dark Knight is many things to different people. A philosophical treatise on the nature of vigilantism, and how far can you protect yourself from Evil without becoming it. A global phenomenon and cinematic event without precedent, with legions of adoring fans and skeptical detractors. And an intelligent, magnificent, automotive tour-de-force for car chase fanatics everywhere.

WORST CHASE OF THE YEAR: TRANSPORTER 3

http://www.geting.se/image.php/139341-vlcsnap-25081.jpg/full

The latest installment in a series which is utterly dependent on the concept of car chases ironically succeeds (if I can use that word in describing an utter wreck of a movie) in doing everything that can be done wrong with a car chase. Instead of describing it lucidly, let me list it out in concise bullet points:
- Keep cutting between a chase and an unrelated scene to maintain suspense
- Don't linger on crashes or its aftermath, but push on to the next shot to keep the pace up
- Use shaky-cam often to make it edgy and real
- If that's not fast enough, keep the fast-forward button on to give a sense of speed
- Play a score that sounds like it's being played on fast-forward too
- Have the characters talk on top of the music and make them whiney and irritating
- Perform stunts that not only stretch credibility but the laws of physics
- Use CGI if you're lazy, lack the budget or the stunt is too impossible
- Lastly, keep it short and stupid

Truly woeful effort, and rightfully the stinker of '08.

Dishonourable mention:
Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull
It seems that the makers have ignored whatever makes its predecessors great, giving Indy an annoying love child, a sidekick who constantly switches alliances, and an old sweetheart that acts dumber than her age. They have also created a horrid mess of the jungle chase, with the cars travelling parallel to each other like on rails, Shia swinging like Tarzan with a posse of monkeys, and the appalling CGI finale. Pity that the preceding old-school motorcycle chase was much better.

Babylon A.D.
Not only is it the most unoriginal sci-fi flick to come out last year, but it also tacks on the lamest car chase at the end. In what can only be described as action filler, Diesel escapes from the baddies in Range Rovers. After a short jaunt through a forest and across a bridge, he proceeds to lean out of the window and blow them to smithereens before they barely started. The driving is unimpressive, the music is uninspired, the whole thing reeks of mediocrity. Just like the movie.

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: PAUL NEWMAN

An avid auto racing enthusiast, and an award-winning actor, Mr Newman passed away of lung cancer last year. He leaves behind a legacy of car chase cinema, and a mark in motorsport racing history. First discovering his life passion while researching his role as a racecar driver who alienates his wife in the 1969 film Winning, he continued to star in several automobile-related motion pictures like The MacKintosh man with its Ford Transit/Mercedes car chase, and as a narrator for Super Speedway, an Imax film on Mario Andretti, and Dale, a biopic about the legendary NASCAR driver. But he will be best remembered in car chase cinema annals as the voice of Doc Hudson, a retired racecar in the animated film Cars. He was posthumously inducted into the Sports Car Club of America in 2009, and deserves to be recognised in this year's award.

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: PETERBILT SEMI TRUCK

While it may seem novel to select a huge behemoth instead of the usual muscle car for this year's award, the chariot of the cross-country blue-collar worker has appeared in more car chase films and TV shows than you might first expect. It first shot to fame as the faceless villain in Spielberg's classic road horror flick Duel. Since then it has played important roles in films like the Fast and the Furious, Joyride and Smokey and the Bandit series, Taxi, Recoil, Convoy, Cars and the Gone in 60 Seconds remake. It also stars in TV shows like Knight Rider and Ice Road Truckers. But its most contemporary appearance would be as Optimus Prime in the live-action Transfomers and its upcoming sequel Revenge of the Fallen, as well as the Joker's choice of wheels in last year's blockbuster The Dark Knight. An enormous presence both onscreen and real-life, it's my pick for the vehicle of the year.

:D

TDIT's exhilarating mashup of the coolest car flick with the best animated film of the year! Fast & Feathered 5 Click sig to watch!

Re: The 7th Annual VaRaces Awards : Nominations 8 years 9 months ago #7963

• delorean man
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I AGREE WITH THE PETERBILT TRUCK BUT YOU FORGOT TO MENTION BLACK DOG FROM 1998 IT IS THE BIGEST PETERBILT 379 MOVIE INTIL TRANSFORMERS
It's A Small Universe
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds