Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: CGI Car Chase/Racing Films

Re: CGI Car Chase/Racing Films 9 years 3 months ago #6072

Well, there is extensive use of CGI car racing scenes in the anime of 'Initial D'. You have the 2005 live-action film on your list, but the anime debuted on Japanese TV in 1998, I believe. The drama with the characters are all standard cel animation, but as soon as they jump into their cars to race down the touge, the animation switches to really cheesy looking computer animation. The CGI does get better in the later seasons.

While not a true car chase, my award for all-time lame CGI car crash is the beginning wreck in the 2001 Morgan Freeman film 'Along Came A Spider', where the Corvette somersaults off a dam. Puh-lease! :roll:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: CGI Car Chase/Racing Films 9 years 3 months ago #6074

• adri
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey CCK, have you noticed the Ford Crown Victoria at the end of The Bourne Ultimatum chase? im not sure but to me that car has always been added with CGI, as for the rest of the chase i cant think of anything else, well appart from the obvious green screens through the car's windows.

Another "chase" i can think of having countless tons of CGI is King Kong, very well done to me, with all those vintage cars in an 1920's New York City.

Another movie with a chase with CGI is Some , and the CGI is specifically in this bit of the chase, where the car crashes and rolls over several times, to me this is a case of non necessary CGI since im sure it was to give more "exaggeration" to the crash itself, the car starts flipping being real but all of a sudden the car turns into a CGI model while rolling over, not bad CGI we must admit but the result is fake, the car doesnt get as damage as if it was real.

Also in the same movie we have a second chase with a car being CGI, the chase has a long stretch of wrong way sequence inside of a tunnel, when they come out of it a BMW 3 series coming the opposite direction flips over and lands onto its roof, the thing is the BMW is not badly done but once again the CGI is very noticeable and not really necessary to me.

Another one i can think of is the movie Consequence, features a car chase between a VW Beetle and several police cars, while the hase is supposed to be set in the US it was filemd in South Africa, at the end of the chase the police cars change from Ford Tauruses to Ford Sierras while both of them fly off an uncut motorway bridge and onto some junk cars placed underneath, some of us agreed that only one Sierra was dropped off the bridge and that the other one is just a copy of the first one being thrown seconds after since you only see one car landing.

Another movie, Ronin, i think its the only bit of the movie that includes CGI, or at least to me it has always been that because it is too fake, im talking about the smoke the Mercedes-Benz, driven in the second chase by Jean Reno, produces when reversing at the very beginning of the chase sequence.

Another movie that comes to my mind is The Marine, that end flip of the totaled Chevy Camaro has something of CGI in it, even if the car was launched in reality the sparks from the bullets and how he comes out of the car while getting shot at and in mid-air is definetly CGI.

Another (bad) movie i can think of having a chase with CGI elements is Simon Sez in the chase sequence in France between a Citroen DS and two BMWs the DS ends up jumping off a cliff and floating arround with a parachute, this is obvious CGI.

Another recent movie with CGI in it is Redline, the chase features several bits of CGI here and there but as a main example we'll get the rollover of a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, its a CGI rollover on the desert that ould have been "camouflaged" in a better way chosing the right angles, it is quite noticeable, the car rolls towards the camera leting you see its made with bad CGI.

In the movie The Animal there's a chase in where Rob Schneider is being chase by a Chevy Blazer, at one point during the chase the SUV hits a cut log and rolls over, there's one shot in where we see the actor running fast (he's jsut like an animal if you have seen the movie youll know why) while he has the car rolling at his back, there's CGI in that.

In the remake of the movie The Hitcher there are about two chases and one of them features bits of CGI, the Firebird rams a Crown Victoria and makes it roll over, while i think the rollover was filmed individually and then mixed with small shots of the Firebird and shots made with CGI of the Crown Vic, let me see if i can provide an example.

CGI Fierbird here

CGI Crown Victoria here

Another recent movie, Shoot 'em up, features a chase with lots of CGI bits, but to mention the most noticeable one its the BMW rollover that starts with a real t-bone crash and quickly changes into a fake rollover caused by this first crash.

And that's all i can think of right now im sure there is more of it out there, if i remember others ill mention them here.[/i]

Re: CGI Car Chase/Racing Films 9 years 3 months ago #6075

• Prowler
  • Platinum Boarder
I spotted a CGI at the ending chase of Mr. Magoo. An eggplant-mobile loses control and leaps into a sewer pipe hanging above a quarry. It's there where the van turns into a cheap cartoon shot. The real stunt went all wrong as seen in the ending credits.

Re: CGI Car Chase/Racing Films 9 years 3 months ago #6076

Thanks everyone for all the additional film and television references you mentioned. That is really helpful!

Adri, big thanks for also passing on those many images as examples. They were really interesting, especially some of the lesser known films. I think if your claim proves true about Ronin, it is significant since mostly everyone assumes that the film's chase sequences are free from CGI. Its IMDB credits list visual effects work, so it would be interesting to see if some of those visual effects were applied to the car chase scenes.

Prowler, thanks for bringing to my attention the CGI work in the Mr. Magoo chase. So far, that's the earliest instance of CGI appearing in a chase/race scene in this thread. Unsurprisingly, it appears in a film with a lot of animation making the CGI easier to integrate with as compared to the live animation. It also shows that CGI can be used not only as a substitute for stuntwork, as in most of the cases listed, but also used to produce a cartoon dimension to the sequence.

Anyways, thanks again.

Re: CGI Car Chase/Racing Films 9 years 3 months ago #6077

• adri
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks CCK, im glad you liked it, i wont doubt on adding more if i remember them :wink:

Re: CGI Car Chase/Racing Films 9 years 3 months ago #6082

Well, it's not a "car" chase per se, but my earliest encounter with movie CGI was 'TRON' - it had the light cycles being pursued through the computer by tanks and "recognizers". I don't know if that counts.
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds