Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Varaces The Car Chase Movie database

Varaces The Car Chase Movie database 10 years 1 month ago #5278

• carlo
  • Platinum Boarder
Hello all members. As we all agree this is the biggest and coolest site about carchase - movies worldwide. In the last months I rarely surfed on the main pages going directly to the forum to write some stuff or looked what other members had to say. Yesterday I browsed a bit through the mainpages and was disappointed to see that nearly all pictures for the movies I checked seem to be gone or lost..Checking randomly movies, I discovered that a few trailers for movies were incorrect ones (see Thunder Alley as an example)
I feel that an upgrading of the whole site would be necessary to put it up-to-date and maybe also eliminate old stuff and lists from the homepage like the dated most popular carchase-movies hitlist on the left and maybe other stuff as well. Well I know that this is easier said than done and that upgrading the whole site will surely be timeconsuming or complicated to realise. I'm no computer expert myself, so... I don't know... I'm a bit confused at the moment :( ?:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Varaces The Car Chase Movie database 10 years 1 month ago #5279

• Prowler
  • Platinum Boarder
I've been away from the site for too long to notice this problem but I do see some incorrect trailers and some missing images. Some of the videos have vanished the last time I was here. Apart from that, I'm unable to submit movies to the site which gives me a "Validation error" message at the top.

After thinking through this for a while, I was wondering if pictures are really neccessary for the site? Does this site really need a description and a picture from the chase? Doesn't sound very appealing in this time frame we're in right now. So far, the site has been hacked two times and pictures come and go as they please. And the basic outline with the descriptopn and the pictures have been around since 2001. One would think that each movie would have a video to replace the picture after six years. Besides, this is what this site is all about "The Movie Car Chase Database"

But then again, things might be easier said than done. I can understand how much maintenance would go into the site if we had clips for each movie. And one might want to think ahead and wonder how much longer this style will go on for.

Re: Varaces The Car Chase Movie database 10 years 1 month ago #5280

Thanks CARLO and Prowler for your suggestions. It's good to hear that forum members care about the state of the site.

Let me respond to your suggestions individually:

1) Images: Entry images have been a long standing problem for quite a while. Sometimes they’re up. Sometimes there not and it's disappointing when they are not there. Sadly my admin rights do not grant me access to the image database so there is little I can do at the moment apart from validating images. I would be glad to give DH a hand to sort out problem.

2) Videos: It would be a major mistake to do away with the images and chase descriptions to try and replace them with actual clips of the chase sequences themselves. For one thing, I think users get a lot of value reading (and writing!) the descriptions and looking at the images from the chases. For another, I think we would face a far greater threat of being shutdown than that faced by the occasional hacker because we would be in copyright infringement. Besides, there is already a website that provides this service, namely YouTube. While not a perfect solution, film entries have links to these YouTube clips, and if they are faulty, just let us know so we can either remove them or replace with one that works.

3) Trailers: The addition of trailer links to film entries was a good idea. Sadly, some of the links to trailers are incorrect. Again, just let us know what trailer links need fixing and we’ll attend to correcting them.

4) Most Popular Film List: Having a list that reflected actual hits on film entries instead would be much more representative of what films are actually popular at a given time. However, we would need to connect the list with the actual hit counters for the entries and that is a fairly complicated thing to implement (at least for me). Perhaps DH and I can knock our heads together on that front.

5) News Items on Homepage: At the moment, DH and I add the news items. Unfortunately, the news items have not been coming out as often as they should. Since DH and I have limited time to compose them, I suggest that we have a dedicated forum thread where users can provide suggestions on news items. I would be more than happy to translate that into something to appear on the homepage.

Since moving into my new house this summer, a lot of my spare time has been taken up DIYing. Once things begin to settle, I’ll give varaces the attention that it deserves.

Re: Varaces The Car Chase Movie database 10 years 1 month ago #5293

I agree with CCK on these matters, having descriptions enhances the informative nature of the site, and allows the user to ascertain whether or not the chase in question is worthy of their attention. Having said that, the reliability of several chase descriptions on the site are indeed questionable. I too am disappointed by the constant image problem, as I do believe they are of use, as well as making the page look more appealing. I quite like the idea of having submittable news entries, although wasn't there a system similar to this already accessible from the main site?

Re: Varaces The Car Chase Movie database 10 years 1 month ago #5296

I quite like the idea of having submittable news entries, although wasn't there a system similar to this already accessible from the main site?
There is? :? I didn't know that, how do you do it?
I, too, think this site needs a major revamp. Like others have mentioned, there's missing photos, and outdated video links (the trailer for Cars, by the way, is a black-and-white cowboy movie :?: ). Maybe the banner title could do with some colour and more car pics?
And another thing, could the Coming Soon link be made interactive? There's just an empty calendar, it would be great if users can submit upcoming film and DVD release dates. If it's a wide-release film that will be shown internationally, the US date can be shown, if it's a country-specific limited release, that country of origin's date can be displayed. DVD can be generally listed as US date. Just an idea, so that I have something to look forward to and I don't have to check IMDB everytime I want to find out what car chase movie is up next.
But good job keeping the site in order so far, CCK and dhopkins. Just act on the suggestions when you have the time to do so, and this will be a totally awesome site!

TDIT's exhilarating mashup of the coolest car flick with the best animated film of the year! Fast & Feathered 5 Click sig to watch!

Re: Varaces The Car Chase Movie database 10 years 1 month ago #5311

I'm not sure, but I think there used to be a system where you could log in through the Varaces home page and submit news stories through there.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds