Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Top Australian Car Chase Movies

Top Australian Car Chase Movies 12 years 1 month ago #2605

• carlo
  • Platinum Boarder
Hello all, in my opinion australian carchase-movies always have this something special that's hard to describe. Maybe it's the exotic landscapes or the cool aussie-musclecars or the general atmosphere in those films... so I just wondered what are your favourite australian carchase-movies? Here's my top 5 List:
1. Mad Max 1
2. Metal Skin
3. Midnite Spares
4. Running on Empty
5. Mad Max 2
and special mentions for
Chain Reaction (only one short chase but a very good one) and
The cars that ate Paris (very strange movie)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Top Australian Car Chase Movies 12 years 1 month ago #2606

Wow since when did the forum have this layout?

Admittingly I have only seen Mad Max 1 and 2 out of that list, and I really did like the opening chase sequence in the original Mad Max. It had an excellent strucuture, pace and length and is a personal favourite for mine. I don't particularly like the sequel however, the final chase sequence, to me, seemed a bit overlong and uneventful and the array of vehicles, although interesting, didn't appeal to me.

Re: Top Australian Car Chase Movies 12 years 1 month ago #2607

Yes, pretty groovy forum layout if you ask me.

Although Running on Empty (1982) has been mentioned in other threads, I think it is a real under-appreciated film. So I would have put it at the top of my Aussie car chase list. I also highly recommend Road Games (1981) for its well-staged automotive stuntwork.

There are a few other Aussie titles that I have yet to see that may have car/motorcycle chases or racing in them:

The Man from Hong Kong (Brian Trenchard-Smith, 1975)
Sidecar Racers (Earl Bellamy, 1975)
The F.J. Holden (Michael Thornhill, 1977)
Dead-End Drive In (Brian Trenchard-Smith, 1986) (on the database already)

Anybody seen these films who can give us the scoop?

I cannot fail to mention the Aussie buddy-cop film spoof Bad Eggs (2003) which has one of the most intentionally ridiculous car chases in film history. A very funny chase.

[url:287kex9l]www.varaces.com/index.php?option=com_sta...file=info.php?id=746[/url]

Re: Top Australian Car Chase Movies 12 years 1 month ago #2608

• Prowler
  • Platinum Boarder
Don't forget Heavens Burning, and Dead End Drive-In. I think The Chain Reaction is one of the best car chases in my opinion. CARLO, I don't mean to sound rude but I hope you're not confused with the Chain Reaction in 1996. Becasue in the 1980 version there are two chases that are among the most fabulous driving and stunts I've ever seen.

I like the new look of the forum!

Re: Top Australian Car Chase Movies 12 years 1 month ago #2610

• carlo
  • Platinum Boarder
Well there are some interesting titles listed here that I haven't seen yet. Seems that I have to get my hands on a copy of Road Games somewhere, the pic in the Database looks good.I vaguely remember Dead End Drive as a good science fiction movie but can't recall any chases in this one apart maybe at the end of the movie where the couple escapes outside the drive-in?? Yes Prowler I meant the 1980's Chain Reaction movie with 'Goose' from Mad Max-fame, I only have one chase-sequence from this film with the pick-up and the black car, I have to agree it's a very good chase, you can see that George Miller used this as a training ground for the later MadMax movies. As for the other movies listed by carcrashking they seem interesting but I haven't seen them so no idea about those but most are 70's movies so maybe worse having a look and investigate more..

Re: Top Australian Car Chase Movies 12 years 1 month ago #2612

• Prowler
  • Platinum Boarder
I think some Ausrailian movies with small chase scenes should have meantioning here:

Malcolm (1986)
Smash Palace (1981)
Body Melt (1993)

The chases are short, but they're wacky, thrilling and disgusting.
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds