Varaces - The Car Chase Movie Database

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: members cars

Re: members cars 9 years 10 months ago #5516

• adri
  • Platinum Boarder
Ive thought of that possibility a lot of times now too, to buy a couple of cars from a yunkyard but first, i couldnt take them on the road because it would b illegal as they would not have insurance, and second where do i put them away?! :(

So how did you do it Steamer? you bought them and made the videos in the same day and then sent them to the junkyard? or you have a big garage to put them in? also how did you take them to the road, you kept the insurance for a few days to use them or how...?

Could you explain? i'd like to know :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: members cars 9 years 10 months ago #5519

• steamer
  • Expert Boarder
Hey, Adri. Living in a rural area at the time sure helped! Anything on pavement was filmed literally less than a mile from the house I grew up in. The gravel backroads were also not much more than a mile from the house. There wasn't as much traffic out there 20 years ago. We could be on the gravel roads for over an hour and not see one car go by. The property at the house was about 2 acres with some sheds, and I used to park the cars behind one of the sheds so you could not see them from the road. I kept the cars at the house for a month or so and we would go out on weekends with a rental video camera.

Now for the illegal stuff. There were no plates or insurance on either LTD. The Charger had a plate (expired) and also no insurance. Kinda crazy I know, we took some chances. The biggest risk was getting the LTD's from the dealership in the city, out to the country. About 20 miles. I used the expired plate from the Charger (which was already at the house) and put it on one of the LTD's and drove it home. Took the plate off, got a ride back into the city, put the plate on the other LTD and then drove it home. The dealer who sold me the cars knew what I was doing, but didn't seem to care.

We did some filming every weekend for 4 or 5 weeks, then I sold the cars to the wrecker, who came and got them. He gave me very little money for them, but at least I didn't have to pay him to tow them away. I remember my dad wasn't too happy with my collection of beaters. :P

I was back out that way about a year and a half ago and noticed there were a bunch more houses on the gravel road and noticeably more traffic. There's no way we could get away with that now.

If you want to have some fun with some beaters, without having to rent a track, I would suggest finding someone with a farm and a lot of acres of land. Then "field drive" them until they're dead. Watch out for groundhog holes! The big holes could actually do some serious instant damage to the car, maybe even roll you onto your roof if you slide into one.

We were crazy country kids. It's amazing we weren't arrested that summer. Thanks, Adri. Talk to ya later.

Re: members cars 9 years 10 months ago #5522

• adri
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow you really risked yourself huh :P that would be what i had to do if i wanted to do some driving and filming like that but unfortunately it would be difficult to keep at least a couple of cars in the back land of any of my family houses, which would actually be one, which are my uncle and my aunt's house in a small town, but still not that big so wouldnt be comfortable for them to have two cars there for a few months.

There's a junkyard "near" their house too but going from it to their home or to a rural road would be by far too much risk, and in Spain is different since you cant get a plate from another car and just stick it to another, simply because you'd need two of them as it is obligatory to have both front and rear plates, and also because it is illegal, i dont know if yunkyards owners remove the plates from the cars once they are in, also im not 100% sure if a yunkyard owner can sell you an entire car, i think you are only able to go and buy pieces of them, then there's also the problem of the "hidden" rural road, where to find one, i mean, where to find one not far from where to keep the cars.

Definetly i have it really difficult so i dont know how ill do it the day i do it :?

Re: members cars 9 years 10 months ago #5523

• carlo
  • Platinum Boarder
The same in my country in Luxembourg, 10 - 15 years ago we had lot's of abandoned industrial terrain here in the south to have fun on Junkyard cars or Motorcycles, nobody cared, nowadays most Industrial terrains get a second life 'cos the town builds lot's and lot's of new houses on it; the few terrains left are now under environmental protection by the state and someone in a beat-up car would last maybe 5 minutes before the cops come...I remember that I had my own offroad track aged 13teen behind the shop of my aunt, I raced some Junk-cars and nobody would care or say something..Same with Garages or Sheds in my area, a few years ago there were many where you could work on cars, nowadays most are gone...Terrain to build houses on is very valuable over here, so many people in need of a garage go over the border to France, Germany or Belgium..I have a Garage myself in France to build my Enduro Cross Cars but I have to drive like 25 miles to get there.Would much prefer to stay in town, but hey these are the times... No wonder I'm into old school car stuff when Racecars had no mufflers , cars had stinky motoroils and there were no green parties that exagerate on climate issues and ruin my mood :roll:

Re: members cars 9 years 10 months ago #5524

• Prowler
  • Platinum Boarder
I've got the same thing over here in western Massachusetts. My town has a few woodland back roads and another town has some abandoned roads satisfy the privacy of drunken frats once in a while. I drove my car through a couple of deep puddles and mud. It was fun, but my car got choked with some water.

I also love to skid through the snow on these road. I got about thirteen inches of snow on Monday and I had a blast doing donuts and reverse 180s in a snow covered parking lot. Steamer, where in Canada do you reside? Does it snow there? That's another thing I would consider. Wait till the winter and go crazy with your junkers and back roads. You'll have great fun sliding around (just be careful!).

Re: members cars 9 years 10 months ago #5526

• adri
  • Platinum Boarder
Gots to be miles easier with an automatic, what do you drive Prowler automatic or manual???
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds